Wednesday, March 25, 2015

I HAVE THIS OBSESSION...


Want to grow an easy peasy, nutrient dense herb that you can use in loads of recipes, or just to simply appreciate its humble beauty? Well you are in luck my friends! Because…

I have this obsession…. With my Chives (not Hives… CHIVES!).

So have we got this straight? I’m talking about my Garlic Chives! :)

Every time I venture out to the vegetable patch, for some reason I am instantly drawn to this one little corner of the garden. Amongst all the different shades of green and the array of pinks and purples that dress my various herbs, I always pause to admire one particular plant. The delicate, flat and tender leaves, the tall and fine flower stalks, the beautiful dainty balls of fragrant white flowers… I find myself standing in awe for at least 5-10 minutes just appreciating this fragile yet strong standing masterpiece. 

See what I mean? A view from my veggie patch:



Do not mistake Chives for Onion or Garlic!

There are two main types of Chives: Onion Chives (purple flowers) and Garlic Chives (white flowers). Chives usually own a mild onion taste.

The first time my chives flowered, I really hesitated in smelling them. I knew what Garlic and Onion blooms were like and I just wasn't keen on a lung full of "garlic". My poor Chives fell victim to prejudice. I was mistaking them for Onion and Garlic... and that is just WRONG! It is a fact that Garlic produces white flower balls similar to that of the Chive, however despite the pretty display, Garlic unfortunately smells just like it tastes… like GARLIC. I love eating garlic, but sniffing flowers that resemble my chicken soup is just,  “EEEEW!”.

I can remember the amazing shock that struck my nostrils when I took that deep breath of chive air. It was surprisingly floral. This beautiful herb had a fragrance that reminded me slightly of the Honeysuckle! To me that’s a Wow Factor! I just loved this plant even more! 

I love eating it, I love looking at it, and I love the smell of it. I am IN LOVE! OBSESSED! But why? You know what? …I can’t really answer that question from a normal person’s perpective… I just am.

Celebrate Chives!

So I guess this post is to celebrate the humble Chive. Before I grew Chives, I hardly gave them any attention. Has anyone ever given a deep and meaningful thought to the Chive Plant? (Long pause…) …Didn’t think so. How would Chives even invade one’s mind without a garnished breakfast omelette sitting right in front of them?

But what else about Chives?

The Chive is totally underestimated in its appearance, in recipes and more importantly, its nutrient content. Did you know that one tablespoon of chopped Chives contains approximately 3% of the daily value of Vitamins A & C, and small amounts of Vitamin K, folate, choline, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium?

That’s better than a ham sandwich! 

Eaten regularly, Chives can help reduce the risk of certain cancers and even one’s sleep and mood

Putting Chives on the menu can be easily achieved. I consume them nearly every day! I have about a handful when adding it raw to a bowl of soup, on top of homemade dip with veggie sticks and yes, I even add it to an omelet (filled with some of my garden’s harvest of course).

So get your Jive on! Eat Chives! (That did indeed read “Jive” – daggy, but I like it).


Growing Chives in Australia:

When: If growing by seed, it is best to sow in Spring. When the plant becomes thick and dense, you can divide the clumps into separate rootstocks in Spring or Autumn. Chives tend to die back in the winter months, however you can maintain foliage by keeping potted chives indoors.
Depth: Place each rootstock about 2cm deep into the soil.
Spacing: Plants/rootstocks are best spaced about 20cm apart.
Maintenance: Chives are low maintenance (Yay!). They like the sun and will grow in just about any soil type. All they require is adequate watering. Plants can be divided by (1) trimming the tops (2) lifting the plant and trimming the roots (3)separating the roots into smaller rootstocks (4) replanting each rootstock.
Divide plants every 2 years to improve plant density.
Seeds: Avoid letting the plants go to seed unless you want to save the seeds. Density of the clump will decrease once the plant has gone to seed. Seeds will remain useful for 12 months.

Now you can share in my obsession. Enjoy! Much Love to you all! 

Like this post, visit our beautiful website - You'll love it!



No comments:

Post a Comment